It’s a known fact that Shimla is Queen of Hill Stations in India, undoubtedly and undisputedly. However, this queen is in trouble this summer. Shimla, one of the Best Hill Stations in India is facing a severe water crisis. Not only Shimla, but other 30 cities & villages of Himachal Pradesh are also facing the water crisis. The situation is so worst that there is no drinking water supply for last so many days. Not only this, the moment people see water tanker, they start running after it whether its a day or night.
By keeping their situation in mind, as a responsible tourist or traveller, we must avoid visiting hill stations in north India in summer 2018. We should stand with them so that they can recover from this situation of crisis. In the mean time, as a responsible travel blogger, publishing a suggestive list of 7 Best Hill Stations in India to Visit in Summer 2018.
7 Best Hill Stations in India to Visit in Summer 2018:
Gangtok is the capital city of Sikkim, a north-eastern state of India. Sikkim is a hilly area surrounded by the Himalayan mountain range. Sikkim is one of the Best hill stations in India
So, what could be your expectations in Sikkim?
- The fascinating views of the Himalayas
- Snow peaks of Kanchenjunga
- A number of mountain streams, which eventually merge with river Teesta and river Rangeet
- Breathtaking river valleys and meadows
- Many high altitude lakes & hot springs
- Enjoy the quaint & scenic mountain hamlets nestled in nature
- Many offbeat places
- Trek along nature & forest trails
- Visit many other tourist attractions such as monasteries, museums, sanctuaries, handicraft centres, parks & gardens, zoo etc.
And in places like Gangtok, you also have an option to enjoy activities such as rides on the cable car (ropeway), paragliding and many more.
How to Reach Gangtok?
Nearest Airport to Gangtok is Bagdogra.
The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri (NJP).
You can also drive to Gangtok from Darjeeling. It’s just 4 hours away by road.
Also, you can opt private taxis and shared jeeps from Darjeeling & Kalimpong; and buses from Siliguri.
Now, there is a helicopter service available from Bagdogra to Gangtok, which takes 35 minutes to reach.
Next in the list of the Best Hill Stations in India is Tawang. The beautiful Tawang town is famous as the birth place of Dalai Lama and its beautiful monasteries. Tawang is located in the northwestern part of Arunachal Pradesh of India. It has Tibet in its North, Bhutan in its South West and Sela ranges in its East.
So, what could be your expectations in Tawang?
- The natural beauty and solitude of Gudpi and Chong-Chugmi ranges
- Mesmerizing Tawang Chu River and Tawang valley
- Nuranang Falls
- Gorichen Peak
- Beautiful glacial lakes in and around Tawang with crystal blue waters such as Sela lake, P.T.Tso lake, Sangetser lake, Banggachang lake, etc. You will find these lakes in the frozen state during winter while in summer these become a haven for migratory birds
- Tawang Monastery, most sacred for Buddhists
- Beautiful Orchid Sanctuary & Tipi Orchid Sanctuary
How to Reach Tawang?
The nearest domestic airport is Salonibari Airport, Tezpur; and, the nearest international airport is Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Guwahati. From the domestic airport it takes around 6 hours by taxi to reach Tawang; however, it takes about 14 hours to reach from the international airport.
Taxies or cabs are easily available at both the airports.
Tawang is well connected to Tezpur and Bomdila by regular buses and taxis.
There is no railway station in Tawang. The nearest railway station is at Tezpur.
It’s good if you book a taxi to Tawang from any of the above points. The drive could be rough, but the picturesque surroundings worth it. The hilly drive is pristinely clear and astoundingly heart warming. It is advisable that you break the journey either at Bomdila or Dirang to enjoy the journey to the fullest. Do remember to take an entry pass to visit Tawang from Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati or Tezpur.
The capital of Meghalaya and music capital of India, Shillong is famous as “Scotland of the East”. The hill station provides a relief from the scorching heat across the country.
So, what could be your expectations in Shillong?
- The exciting mountain peaks
- Crystal clear lakes
- Breathtakingly beautiful golf courses, museums and the zoo
- Tallest waterfalls
- Beautiful landscapes
- Amazing people and culture.
The Hill Station has a very young feel to it because of its westernized culture & jovial people; and, hence, you will feel very young once visit Shillong. The little drizzle and soothing gentle cold wind will be an add-on to your rejuvenating trip.
How to Reach Shillong?
The nearest airport is Shillong airport, which connects to Kolkata only. Else, Guwahati is also one f the nearest airports.
The nearest railway station is at Guwahati at a distance of 100 KMs.
Shillong is well connected to Guwahati by bus. Also, you can opt for taxis from all the airports, railway station and bus stand.
4) Mount Abu:
Another in the list of the Best Hill Stations in India is Mount Abu. The summer capital for the Indian state of Rajasthan Mount Abu is located amidst lush green, forested hills on the highest peak in the Aravali range. Mount Abu is the oasis in the deserted land of Rajasthan & the only hill station there.
So, what could be your expectations in Mount Abu?
- the amazing and brilliant use of marble in the architecture of Dilwara Jain Temple. The ornamental carvings and the flawless stone laying technique in the temple is something you cannot afford to miss, once you are in Mount Abu.
- The highest point in Mount Abu as well as Aravalli mountain ranges, Guru Shikhar.
- Nakki Lake, an ancient and sacred lake. It is said that the lake was dug out by the Gods by simply using their nails to gain shelter from the Demon Banshkhali.
- Mount Abu Wild Life Sanctuary
- Green forests which are the reason for the cool and soothing climate of Mount Abu – Perfect for a relaxing vacation away from cruel heat.
- Honeymoon Point, Sunrise & Sunset Point, Natural Trails
How to Reach Mount Abu?
The nearest airport is Udaipur Airport, which is well connected. The airport in Jaipur is also nearby.
The nearest railway station is on Mount Abu Road, about 28 KMs from the main city.
Mount Abu is well connected with major cities like Ahmedabad, Baroda and many other cities. You can hire a private taxi or private/state transport buses from Abu road.
At the centre of 5 slopes in the Shayadri Mountain ranges lies Panchgani. The hill station is surrounded by 5 villages Dandeghar, Khingar, Godwali, Amral and Taighat.
So, what could be your expectations in Panchgani?
- Mapro Garden
- Table Land
- Parsi Point
- Sydney Point
- Devil’s kitchen
- Try out various adventurous sports
- Get indulge in thrilling activities like paragliding, horse riding, Go-karting
- Shopping is one of the major activity you must consider here. You will get fruit juices, mocktails, candies, Mapro’s Strawberry or Litchi Crush, Jam, Madhusagar Honey, Channa, Kholapuri Chappals and Malas Jam.
How to Reach Panchgani?
Pune is the nearest Airport. You will easily get taxis from here to Panchgani.
Wathar is the nearest railway station.
There are regular bus services available between Mumbai and Panchgani. Also, you can hire private taxis to this beautiful hill station.
First planned & newest hill station in India, Lavasa lies in Mose Valley near Pune in Maharashtra. Lavasa is absolutely a leisure holiday destination amidst lush green hills with its mesmerizing views. Whether you want a pampering stay r a weekend in the wild, Lavasa is the place for you.
So, what could be your expectations in Lavasa?
You have an array of options in
- Entertainment- Bollywood comes to Lavasa
- Events like Hill Run, the celebration of a festival or occasion, etc.
- City Tours in Luxury Buses & Train Minus Tracks
- A walk in the serene Nature Trails
- Lakeshore Sports
- Adventure Sports
- A Day Picnic
- Get your gaming suit on and enjoy a variety of games like Indoor Golf and many more
How to Reach Lavasa?
The nearest airport is in Pune.
Lonava Railway station is the nearest one to reach Lavasa.
By bus, Lavasa is well connected to most of the cities in Maharashtra.
The best way to reach Lavasa is by a cab or own car. Undoubtedly, drive to Lavasa from Pune or Mumbai is the best drive in the country.
Famous as sister hill station of Khandala, Lonavala lies close to Pune & Mumbai. Lonavala is the place to be during monsoons. Being a part of Shayadri Mountain ranges, it offers you the most alluring and bewitching experience of nature.
So, what could be your expectations in Lonavala?
- Dense forests
- Cascading falls and pristine lakes which you majorly see in many Bollywood films
- A gateway to having a soulful weekend or a good trip
- Thrilling adventures like hiking, trekking and mountaineering.
- Bushi Dam (an ideal picnic spot), Rajmachi Fort, Wax museum, Lonavala Lake
- Bhairavnath temple (a holy shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva)
- Bhaja Caves, Karla Caves
How to Reach Lonavala?
Pune is the nearest airport to Lonavala.
It has its own Railway station.
By bus, Lonavala is well connected to most of the cities in Maharashtra.
You can easily reach Lonavala by cab or own car. Undoubtedly, drive to Lonavala from Pune or Mumbai is one of the best drives in the country.
Let’s do not ignore their plea.
As a responsible traveller, let’s address their crisis. Let’s stand with Shimla, the Queen of Hills in this hour of its crisis. Not only Shimla but the entire Northern Hill Stations. Let’s give the time to recover. In the mean time, let’s explore other mesmerizing hill stations in India in Summer 2018.