Statue of Unity-The World’s Tallest Statue, is the statue of Indian Political Leader Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. The Statue of Unity is as grand as the stature of Sardar. He was famous as Sardar, which means leader or chief. He is also known as The Iron Man of India.
Why Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel as Statue of Unity?
In those days the Britishers were playing an ugly game. Britishers were planning to divide India apart into small princely states. This way other countries will be able to attack and conquer these small princely states easily. When the British government has declare Independence to princely states by giving them the rights, Patel understood the Divide & Rule policy of the British Government.
So, Patel then decided to make India one united Independent country, that is the Republic of India.
He went to all princely states and requested the kings to be part of one India. The kings were highly impressed by Sardar’s patriotism, hence, most of them agreed on his request. And those who declined the offer, Sardar gave them a choice- either be a part of one India or be ready to face the largest army in the world. Soon the ones who were opposing agreed to be a part of one India.
It was Sardar’s effort that today India is the largest democracy.
It was him who decided to bring India together and stood by his decision. He was a man of his words. So, he did everything possible to make the India one country. He did everything possible and did not even hesitate in using the policy of ‘Saam-Daam-Dand-Bhed’ (friendship, give & take, punishment and divide & rule) to achieve the goal that helps to build India one nation.
Kashmir issue began because Mr. Jawaharlal Nehru did not listen to Sardar Patel and stood by them to make Pakistan a separate Independent country. We are still suffering the pain of that one blunder of our first Prime Minister.
Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s strong will power and commitment to national integration in the independent country was uncompromising, and, that earned him the sobriquet “Iron Man of India”.
Since Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel is the one behind the concept of one nation; and, he is the one who made India the largest democracy in the world, that’s why he is known as the “Unifier of India“.
The Statue of Unity-The World’s Tallest Statue, is a tribute to man behind united India, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
Features of Statue of Unity-The World’s Tallest Statue:
- Statue of Unity-The World’s Tallest Statue, is on a river island, Sadhu Bet facing the Sardar Sarovar Dam on the river Narmada.
- The highest statue is 182 m (597 ft) high. The total height of the structure from its base is 240 m (790 ft). The base is 58 m (190 ft) high; and, the statue is 182 m (597 ft) high.
- Statue of Unity-The World’s Tallest Statue has a 12 sq.km. artificial lake in its surrounding.
- The tallest statue in the world, the Statue of Unity can withstand wind velocity upto 60m/sec. Also, it can withstand earthquakes of magnitude 6.5 on a Richter scale.
- The legs of the statue have two elevators each. Each can carry 26 people at a time to a viewing gallery in just 30 seconds. The viewing gallery is at a height of 153 m (502 ft).
- The viewing gallery can accommodate up to 200 people at a time.
- There is a heavy-load open lift with a panoramic view alongside the Statue of Unity. You will be able to rise up within the statue, walk into a viewing gallery and enjoy a panoramic view of the Sardar Sarovar Nigam project and the surrounding region from an astounding height of close to 400 ft.
- Apart from this, there is a unique museum and audio-visual department portraying the life and times of Sardar Vallabhbai Patel.
There is a Laser, Light and Sound show on the efforts of Unification of India.
- From the gallery of the Statue of Unity, you will be able to see the Sardar Sarovar Dam and its 200KM long reservoir, Satpura & Vindhya Mountain Ranges.
- The Statue of Unity will generate appx. 15,000 direct jobs every year for the tribal people living in the vicinity.
- There are Refreshment areas like restaurants and recreational spots to make the project area an attractive tourist spot. This will facilitate tourism and employment for the surrounding tribal region.
- The Statue of Unity and surrounding area will be accessible by special boats to avoid vehicular traffic and pollution.
- You will also get accommodation facility in Shrestha Bharat Bhavan, 128-key 3-Start hotel adjacent to the Statue of Unity. It will have facility of food, guest amenities and conference facilities.
What is the motive behind the Statue of Unity?
Its a tribute to the man behind united India, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. It will remind every individual Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s visionary ideologies of unity – “एक भारत श्रेष्ठ भारत“, patriotism, inclusive growth and good governance. This statue is not just a mute memorial like others. But, its a fully functional, purpose-serving tribute that will encourage all-round socio-economic development, in the form of better connectivity, healthcare & education infrastructure, a research centre for agriculture development and various tribal development initiatives.
Recommended Read: Family Vacation Packages in India
“The Statue will stand high, not just in meters and feet; but, much more in terms of academic, historical, national and spiritual values. My vision is to develop the place as a source of inspiration for ages to come.” This is the vision of the Indian Prime Minister behind the Statue of Unity.