Kumbh Mela is the celebration of faith, trust, harmony and cultures. Since the beginning of the ancient times; knowledge, consciousness and its mutual churning are those dimensions of Kumbh Mela which brings the awakened consciousness of Hindu Religionists without any invitation. The Kumbh festival did not start from any history’s point of view, but its history was made by itself in time. Religious traditions are always based on faith and belief, and not in history. You can say that Kumbh Mela 2019 – a huge human gathering of its own kind, is organized to keep the cultures tied together.
Kumbh Mela 2019 Dates:
Kumbh Mela 2019 will commence on January 15, 2019, and will end on March 04, 2019 at Sangam, Prayagraj (Allahabad), India.
Pious Bathing dates are as follows:
- Makar Sankranti – January 15, 2019; the whole day
- Posh Purnima – January 21, 2019; the whole day (1st Shahi Snaan – Royal Bath)
- Mauni Amavasya – February 04, 2019; the whole day (Main Shahi Snaan – Royal Bath)
- Basant Panchami – February 10, 2019; the whole day (3rd Shahi Snaan – Royal Bath)
- Maghi Purnima – February 19, 2019; the whole day
- Maha Shiv Ratri – March 04, 2019; the whole day
What is Kumbh?
Kumbh literally means ‘Kalash’ (pot) and this ‘Kalash’ is related to the nectar pot. The story goes back to the time when Gods & Demons agreed for the churning of the sea to collect the nectar of immortality from the sea. As Gods alone were not enough to churn the immense sea and take out the nectar of mortality. Hence, they made a mutual agreement with Demons to share the nectar of immortality in half amongst the Gods & Demons.
Since it was sea which was to be churned, hence, the churning rod & churning rope had to be of the same quantum. So, Mandarachal Mountain agreed to be the churning rod; and, the king of Serpents, Vasuki became the churning rope. Fourteen gems were obtained from this Manthan (churning), which were shared amongst each other by Gods & Demons. However, when the Dhanvantri gave Amrit Kalash (Nectar Pot) to the Gods, again the situation of the war arose between Gods & Demons.
On this, Lord Vishnu himself took the appearance of Mohini to deceit the demons and said that he will give the nectar to everyone. But, Lord Vishu deceived Demons and handed over the Nectar Pot to Lord Indra’s son Jayant. When Jayant got the Nectar Pot from the Lord Vishu, he started running away from the demons to protect the nectar.
Why Kumbh Mela is Celebrated?
While running away with the immortality Nectar Pot, Lord Indra’s son, Jayant dropped few drops of the nectar of immortality at four places on earth. These places are Haridwar, Nasik, Ujjain and Prayagraj (Allahabad). Since then, the above mentioned four places are believed to have gained mystical powers. Jayant took 12 days to take the Amrit Kalash (nectar pot) to heaven. It is considered that one day of the gods is equal to one year of humans on earth.
This is the reason that the Kumbh Mela is organized in 12 years on special occasions of planetary constellations at the places mentioned in the period. Millions of devotees, come to these four places where it is believed that drops of the nectar of immortality have fallen. They participate in ritualistic bathing and rituals to clean themselves of all sins.
As per the Astrological Calculations, Kumbh Mela has been organized in four ways:
Since, the Sun, the Chandra, the Saturn and the Jupiter were also protecting the nectar pot by the order of Lord Vishnu, therefore, they were roaming in the different Rashis (Leo, Aquarius and Aries). Hence, they all became the representatives of the Kumbh festival. Thus, due to the involvement of planets and Rashis, the festival of Kumbh also became a festival of astrology. So, as per the Astrological calculations, Kumbh Mela has been organized in four ways as follows:
- On the Jupiter entering the Aquarius, and the Sun entering the Aries, the Kumbh Mela is organized on the coast of the river Ganges in Haridwar.
- The Kumbh Mela is organized on the coast of Triveni Sangam in Prayagraj (Allahabad) on the New Moon Day when the Jupiter enters the Aries, and, the Sun & the Chandra comes into the Capricorn.
- On the Jupiter and the Sun entering the Leo, the Kumbh festival is organized at the coast of the river Godavari in Nashik.
- The Kumbh festival is organized at Ujjain on the coast of the river Shipra when the Jupiter enters Leo, and the Sun enters the Aries.
The Essence of Kumbh Mela or Kumbh Festival:
After analyzing the Kumbh Mela, it is known that this festival incorporates life-giving powers in harmony with nature and organism. Nature is the basis of life and death. In this case, harmony with nature becomes extremely necessary. It has also been said that “यद् पिण्डे तद् ब्रह्माण्डे” meaning “what is in the body is in the Universe”. Hence, how to reconcile the body with the powers of the universe, how to achieve life-saving powers, the Kumbh is the festivity of such mysteries. Kumbh Mela can be summarized as the pilgrimage with the largest gathering on Earth.
PC : Official Website of Kumbhmela
Why be a part of the Kumbh Mela 2019?
- Kumbh Mela is the pilgrimage to establish harmony between Body, Mind & Soul.
- To experience the Power of the sacred rivers.
- And, to witness the amazingly co-existing diverse cultures of India.